Glenelg wins fourth consecutive U16 Torrens University Cup


A potent second quarter – in which Glenelg kicked six consecutive goals – gave the Bays control of the U16 Torrens University Cup Grand Final at half-time, ultimately leading to a comfortable victory against West Adelaide.

In a tough and uncompromising contest early, Glenelg blew the encounter open in second term, before a more even second half, where they went on to win this year’s title-decider by 39 points.

The match was played at City Mazda Stadium, Richmond, against their hosts, the Bloods, who were minor premiers and lost just a single game during the minor round.

Glenelg coach Scott Uppington explained, after five points separated the combatants at the first interval, his side arrested the momentum of the game in the second quarter, which he sees as a critical component in underage football.

“I reckon we kicked six goals to one in that term and this really set up the victory,” Uppington continued.

“While any game is never won at half-time I thought we’d given ourselves a good opportunity.

“It was a strong all round team effort with many contributors across the ground.”

Co-captain Kane Viska said this year’s Glenelg Under 16 side was confident going into the game despite losing to West Adelaide in round one.

“We had played a good month of football leading in and we felt like we had the ammunition to get the job done,” Viska, the son of former Tiger and Crow Mark Viska, confirmed.

Fellow Bays Captain Harry McInnes, from Naracoorte, reflected that both the city and the country boys gelled well and that was displayed in the team’s performance in the Grand Final.

Kingston lad Will Watts was exciting all game, collecting 33 disposals and kicking a goal.

Tigers’ midfielder Harry Tunkin, who hails from Millicent and now a Prince Alfred College student, played the link role well, collecting 28 touches while also slotting through a major.

In defence, Lewis Rayson produced immaculate skills by foot, having 23 kicks, many on his raking left foot, among his 29 disposals across half back.

Hugh Stagg showed his marking strength and kicked three goals along with laying a team-high six tackles.

Opportunist forward Nasiah Wanganeen kicked two goals during the second-quarter onslaught by the Bays, with his second being a freakish snap.

In a long best player list for Glenelg, others to take the eye included the feisty Darcy Gluyas on a wing, strong-marking defender Oscar Adams and marking talent up forward, Jayden Davis, who booted 2.3.

Best of the West Adelaide players were Cooper Thomson, Tyson Coe and David Midwinter in defence, while ruckman Nadim Queiss was gallant and competitive at the stoppages all day.

Jed Obst and diminutive Charlie Pridham battled across the game, while Dylan White kicked three goals.

Charbel Queiss kicked two majors from limited opportunities.


Glenelg co-captains Harry McInnes (left) and Kane Viska. Picture – Peter Argent

GLENELG  3.2  9.3  10.7  12.13 (85)

WEST  2.3  3.3  5.4  6.10 (46)

LEADING DISPOSALS – Glenelg: Watts 33, Rayson 29, Tunkin 28, Gluyas 27, Stagg 23, Davis 17, Beecken 15.

West: Thomson 24, Obst, Pridham 17, Thackeray 16, N. Oueiss 15, Kennedy, Roberts 14.

GOALS – Glenelg: Stagg 3, Davis, Wanganeen 2, Brougham, Harding, McInnes, Tunkin, Watts.

West: White 3, C. Ouiess 2, N. Ouiess.

Glenelg’s Kade Varcoe fires out a handball. Picture – Peter Argent

Sign up to receive the latest SANFL news straight to your inbox.