Match Wraps

Bays brush aside Pies


Glenelg has overcome early inaccuracy to dominate Port Adelaide by 49 points in a clinical display at ACH Group Stadium on Sunday.

Desperate to honour captain Chris Curran in his 100th Statewide Super League match, the Bays eventually transferred their control of general play on to the scoreboard after the first change.

Tallying 2.11 at quarter time, Mark Stone’s men boasted an ominous 22-10 inside 50m advantage through sheer grunt at the stoppages amid the slippery conditions at Brighton Road.

The Magpies were hanging in the contest early, when tall forward Todd Marshall trimmed the margin to just nine points with a long set shot goal four minutes into the second term.

But that’s when the hosts’ put their foot down, establishing a 28 point at half-time before strangling the life out of the Magpies in a powerful third quarter.

Glenelg banged on seven goals in the premiership term while restricting Port to just one behind – kicked by Aidyn Johnson 24 minutes in.

With Luke Partington, Matt Snook, Marlon Motlop and Jonty Scharenberg getting in and under through the centre square, the Bays forwards thrived as they continued their highly functioning attacking formation.

Former Richmond giant Liam McBean kicked four goals to lead the way inside 50m for the Bays while former Pie Luke Reynolds displayed his skill and class in the wet to boot two alongside the eye-catching Lachie Hosie.

Down back, Glenelg’s twin towers of Curran and Max Proud were controlling the play beautifully with the assistance of veteran Aaron Joseph and rookie Will Gould.

The highlight of the day coming when Curran took a nice mark at half forward before calmly slotting a rare goal from a 50m set shot during the third term. Every Tiger on the field rushed to their skipper to congratulate him as pictured above.

The lead ballooned to as much as 71 points at three quarter time before Port went about restoring some respect onto the scoreboard.

The Magpies kicked five of the last seven goals of the contest to trim the margin back under 10 goals but the damage had been well and truly done.

With experienced midfielder Jack Trengove down on his usual output – mustering 21 disposals – the Magpies were reliant on too few, with Joe Atley and Willem Drew reaching 30 disposals in the midfield.

Power half-back Hamish Hartlett appeared to get through his return from a hamstring injury to tally 17 disposals and a goal in what was an otherwise forgettable day for the Magpies.


Glenelg’s Luke Partington thrived in the wet conditions to finish with 34 disposals.

GLENELG  2.11  6.15  13.17  15.17 (107)

PORT  1.3  3.5  3.6  8.10 (58)

LEADING DISPOSALS – Glenelg: Partington 34, Curran 25, Proud 24, Motlop, Scharenberg 22, Snook 21, Bradley 20, Joseph 18.

Port: Atley 31, Drew 30, Bonner, Mayes, Pudney 25, Trengove 21, Hartlett 17, Frederick 16.

GOALS – Glenelg: McBean 4, Hosie, Reynolds 2, Bailey, Betterman, Curran, Gregson, Motlop, Partington, Scharenberg.

Port: Johnson 2, Cox, Hartlett, Hill, Marshall, Mead, Woodcock.

Port’s Hamish Hartlett made his return from a hamstring strain.

Photo Gallery

Sign up to receive the latest SANFL news straight to your inbox.