SANFL Snapshot – Sunday

Glenelg's match-winning goal kicker Luke Reynolds battles with Sturt's Sam Smith. Picture - Cory Sutton

Compiled by Zac Milbank

A late coast-to-coast play allowed Glenelg to get out jail with a heart-stopping four-point win against a brave Sturt at ACH Group Stadium.

The Tigers were seemingly headed toward a comfortable win having booted five goals in succession either side of the three-quarter time break to open up a 17-point lead seven minutes into the final term.

Strong-marking Bays forward Toby Pink had a chance to push the margin out to 23 points a minute later but after his set shot narrowly sailed wide, it left the door open for the Double Blues to storm through.

And Martin Mattner’s men certainly did that – kicking the next three goals in succession to lead by two points nearing the 22-minute mark of the final term.

High-flying Ash Johnson had given the visitors the lead with his second major in the final-term flurry as Sturt showed tremendous character to fight back in the dying stages.

But Glenelg used its experience and composure to conjure up a clean passage of play on the outer wing, featured in the clip below, which finished in the arms of Luke Reynolds.

The Bays’ sharp-shooting premiership forward then calmly put through his 15m set shot in the angle to restore the lead for the hosts, who clung on for their sixth win in succession.

Reynolds and Lachie Hosie finished with three goals each while Matt Allen booted two to go with his 23 disposals off his wing.

Glenelg’s Luke Partington tallied 29 disposals, eight marks and eight tackles while Matt Snook had 27 touches and a long set shot goal after consecutive 25m penalties.

Sturt’s skipper James Battersby led from the front as he so often does, reaching 35 disposals and eight clearances while promising young trio Tom Lewis (27 disposals), Casey Voss (26) and Jed McEntee (23) offered excellent support.

Glenelg’s Brett Turner wins a clearance despite pressure from Sturt’s Charlie Parker (left), Jed McEntee, Zane Kirkwood and Tom Lewis. Picture – Cory Sutton

Sturt’s Ash Johnson on his way down from a screamer. Picture – Cory Sutton

North Adelaide’s Lewis Hender produced a highlight reel to remember with a stunning eight-goal haul in his team’s 68-point thrashing of West Adelaide at Prospect Oval.

The Roosters excitement machine kicked four goals in each half as he single-handedly matched the Bloods’ team total of eight to ensure the hosts would notch their second win of the season.

Establishing a comfortable 31-point lead at half-time, the hosts were only just getting started as they proceeded to slam on 8.1 to West’s 2.0 in a rampaging third quarter performance.

Joined by Dyson Hilder and Aaron Young as North’s only multiple goal kickers, Hender was among nine Roosters who registered majors in the percentage-boosting victory.

Former Hawthorn speedster Billy Hartung made an emphatic return from injury to rack up 33 disposals, 10 marks and five tackles in his first League game for the season while North’s Magarey Medallist Campbell Combe finished with 28 possessions, seven tackles and six clearances.

Roosters skipper Alex Spina continued his red hot form to start the season with 27 disposals, 13 marks and a goal while Tom Schwarz was industrious with his 26 touches, six clearances and a major.

West’s Kaine Stevens worked hard for his 28 disposals and eight marks while Ed Allan continues to collect big numbers for the Bloods with 26 disposals and seven tackles.

The visitors’ captain Tom Keough kicked a team-high three goals from limited opportunities as the Bloods lost the inside 50m count 54 to 37.

North’s star of the day Lewis Hender puts out a Don’t Argue. Picture – Deb Curtis

Sign up to receive the latest SANFL news straight to your inbox.