Round 2 Hostplus SANFL League Snapshot – Super Saturday

Gleneg's Hugh Stagg celebrates his team's gutsy 34-point fightback against Sturt. Picture - David Mariuz

Compiled by Zac Milbank

Glenelg displayed plenty of heart to make a stunning comeback against Sturt, edging the hosts out by eight points at Wigan Oval.

Trailing by as much as 34 points midway through the third term, the Bays kicked nine of the next 10 goals to lead by 16 points when Lachie Hosie nailed a long-range set shot in the 12th minute.

Sturt’s Josh Shute closed the gap to nine points with his set shot in the 15th minute but the visitors were able to control the tempo of the game by maintaining possession in the dying stages.

It was a remarkable swing in momentum given Sturt – trailing by 16 points at the first change – booted eight goals in succession throughout the second stanza until reaching the 34-point advantage on the back of a goal to Oli Grivell in the 10th minute of the third quarter.

Improving at the stoppages to earn a 40-34 buffer in the clearances, Glenelg welcomed back Jack Oatey Medallist Matthew Snook who was his desperate self in chalking up 24 disposals, seven clearances and six tackles.

Playing Reserves in Round 1 due to an injury-plagued preseason, Snook displayed his determination in the final minute when he won a crucial one-on-one at half-back, ensuring his team would secure the ball and not concede another major.

Magarey Medallist Luke Partington finished with 24 possessions and six clearances while Matt Allen had 23 possessions, 12 marks and a goal.

Ken Farmer Medallist Liam McBean booted four goals while Lachie Hosie kicked the sealing goal in the final term to finish with three.

Sturt – with James Battersby (29 disposals, six clearances) and Patrick Wilson (24 disposals, two goals) prominent – threatened to take the game away from Glenelg by creating scoreboard pressure early in the second half.

Wilson, James Richards and Shute each kicked two goals for the hosts, who managed just one goal in the last quarter-and-a-half of action.


Sturt’s Patrick Wilson was one of his side’s best players with 24 disposals and two goals. Picture – David Mariuz

Glenelg’s Matthew Snook made a welcome return for the Bays with 24 disposals and seven clearances. Picture – David Mariuz

Central District came from the clouds to conjure up a confidence-building 20-point win against West Adelaide at X Convenience Oval.

Seemingly out of the contest with just 2.8 at half-time, and trailing by as much as 38 points late in the second term, the Bulldogs then rattled on the 11 of the next 13 goals to have the Elizabeth faithful in full voice.

After trimming the deficit to just 17 points on the back of a goal to Gold Coast Suns recruit Bailey Reeves, the hosts nailed the final six goals of the contest in the final term.

Wily Central veteran Justin Hoskin contributed the last three of the memorable six pack after teammate Blake Launer edged his opponent under the ball to finish off a nice goal assist from Oliver Shaw in the 14th minute.

This gave the Dogs the lead for the first time since midway through the first term as the Schiller brothers – Travis (32 possessions, 11 marks) and Jarrod (26 possessions, 12 clearances) – got things moving.

Hoskin and Launer finished with three goals each for the Bulldogs, who had as many as nine goal kickers.

The fast-starting Bloods had Glenelg recruits Callum Park (26 disposals) and Jackson Edwards (22 disposals) lead the way on the stats sheet while Joel Stevens had 20 disposals, seven clearances and a goal.

Star recruit Hamish Hartlett collected 17 possessions and laid seven tackles in his first outing for the Bloods this year while captain Tom Keough made the most of his chances to kick four goals straight.

Exciting Westies prospect Harry Lemmey had nine disposals and five marks while booting two nice set shot goals in the second term, the latter a comfortable roost from near the 50m arc.

West’s Kaiden Brand takes a strong defensive mark. Picture – Cory Sutton

Central ruck Billy McCormack launches into a long bomb. Picture – Cory Sutton

Adelaide secured its early place at the top of the SANFL Hostplus League ladder with a comfortable 38-point win at Prospect Oval.

Leading at every change, the Crows registered an eye-catching 12 goal kickers, led by captain Matthew Wright with four and emerging key forward Riley Thilthorpe with three.

Adelaide’s use of handball proved influential given it had 46 more than North as it amazingly trailed the hosts in clearances by 23 to 34 while only laying 22 tackles for the match.

Strong-bodied midfielder Jackson Hately found plenty of the ball for the Crows, tallying 35 disposals, eight marks and a goal while Sam Berry continued on from his impressive Round 1 effort to register 26 possessions, five clearances and a goal.

Thilthorpe racked up 19 disposals and nine marks to go with his three majors while ruckman Kieran Strachan worked hard to finish with 18 disposals, eight marks and a goal.

Coming off a shock Round 1 win against the Eagles, North managed just one goal in the first term which immediately put the hosts – without coach Jacob Surjan due to Covid Protocols – on the back foot.

Sydney Swans Academy member Jacob Bauer made an impressive SANFL League debut by booting five of the Roosters’ 11 goals, including a clever snap in the second term.

Harrison Wigg (31 disposals, six clearances), Alex Spina (30 disposals) and the Combe brothers – Campbell and Will (26 disposals) – fought hard but it wasn’t enough to earn the premiership points.

South Adelaide withstood everything Port Adelaide could throw at it to bank a memorable 10-point win at Alberton Oval.

In an entertaining, see-sawing encounter, the Panthers managed to fight their way to the lead as late as Jye Menzie’s sixth goal in the 31st minute of the final term.

Menzie, who was outstanding all afternoon in creating constant headaches for Port, pounced on a loose ball in the pocket and showed poise before swinging around to snap truly on his left foot.

It gave South a four-point lead which was extended to 10 when Magarey Medallist Bryce Gibbs marked on the goalline, soaked up valuable seconds and then snapped around the corner to the delight of Panther fans.

The visitors had trailed by as much as 28 points deep into the third term after the Magpies kicked the opening five goals after the main change, three of them to former GWS forward Jeremy Finlayson.

Finlayson finished with six goals for the game in an encouraging performance for the hosts, who only managed 1.5 in the fourth quarter.

Gibbs was the star of the match with 39 possessions, 10 clearances, seven marks and his sealing goal while the Panthers also had Mitch O’Neill collect 29 disposals, six tackles and five clearances.

Wingman Hayden Sampson (23 disposals and a goal) and veteran Matthew Broadbent (20 disposals) made welcome returns after missing Round 1 while Menzie topped off his game with 17 disposals and five marks to go with his six goals.

Port’s Trent Dumont, who played a half for the Power against Melbourne on Thursday night, tallied the most disposals for Port with 21 to equal Marty Frederick, who kicked an eye-catching goal from the pocket on the run.

Magpies captain Cam Sutcliffe had 21 disposals, six clearances and a goal while developing defender Jake Pasini had his best SANFL League game by standing up in critical moments while having 20 disposals.

Sign up to receive the latest SANFL news straight to your inbox.