Tuesday, April 7, 2020
The 2020 SA Country Football Championships have been cancelled because of the continuing uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Championships were due to be played from July 10-12 in Kadina.
SANFL Head of Community Football Tom Hurley said the decision reflects the ongoing disruption and economic impact that coronavirus is having on football, as well as the wider community.
Hurley also said the decision was based on allowing regional competitions to maximise the number of matches they could fixture when it is safe for football to resume in 2020, as well as providing much-needed relief for the event hosts, volunteers, organisers and competing zones.
“This decision was not made lightly given the importance of the Country Football Championships and associated programs,” Hurley said.
“We know every participant will share in our disappointment in having to cancel this year’s event due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, but we hope they understand this decision.”
Hurley also confirmed that the annual SA Country versus WA Country, scheduled to be played at Alberton Oval on July 25, was cancelled.
He acknowledged the Kadina Football Club and Copper Coast Council for the significant amount of work they had already undertaken in planning to stage the event, as well as major partner Think Road Safety and other partners for their ongoing support.
“The SA Country Football Championships and State team programs create valuable pathways from regional football to SANFL and AFL men’s and women’s competitions, as well as delivering significant economic impact for the host region,” Hurley said.
SANFL, in a united decision with the AFL and all other State Leagues across Australia, announced last month the postponement of the 2020 football season in response to the coronavirus pandemic until May 31, including training.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Paula Brinkworth, SANFL Senior Media and Communications Advisor,
on 0414 805 153 or email [email protected]