By SANFL Media
Community sports clubs across the State are set to kick off much-needed facility upgrades totalling $27 million in project value as a result of the State Government’s Grassroots Football, Cricket and Netball Facility Program.
The State Government today announced it will immediately inject $6 million into 12 facilities projects as part of the second round of grassroots funding grants.
Work will commence over the next six months and include projects such as construction of family friendly changerooms, lighting upgrades and playing surface improvements for clubs in both metropolitan and regional areas.
Announcing the successful applicants today, Minister Corey Wingard said that in light of COVID-19 and its impact on sport, it was now more important than ever to invest in the future of South Australian sport so it could emerge stronger on the other side.
“By getting these projects started, we’re giving these venues the best chance to bounce back from this pandemic by attracting more community sports participants,” Minister Wingard said.
“The aim of the Grassroots Program remains the same – to develop core infrastructure which increases participation through the development of good quality, well designed and utilised facilities.
“We’re excited to see the outcomes of round two where a $6 million investment will contribute to more than $27 million in project value.”
SANFL Chief Executive Officer Jake Parkinson welcomed the State Government’s commitment to investing in grassroots sports facilities and said he was thrilled the program had been extended to a third round of funding worth a further $5 million, especially at this challenging time for clubs across State.
“This is a unique collaborative multi-sports approach to facilities funding with the State Government, enhanced by commitments from local government. As a result, we are better positioned to ensuring the future sustainability and success of community football clubs through much-needed quality, well-designed shared-use facilities,” Mr Parkinson said.
“The AFL’s contribution to this funding program also underpins its vision to support and continue the great growth in South Australian football participation which we’ve enjoyed in recent years.
“Facility development enhances participation and helps retain valuable volunteers, providing a healthy and vital connection for communities.”
Under the funding program, the majority of clubs and councils who apply are required to contribute at least 50 per cent of the project costs and need to work with the Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing, SANFL, SACA and Netball SA to produce the best application possible.
Applications for round three of funding through the Grassroots Football, Cricket, and Netball Facility Program, worth $5 million, are now open until Thursday, April 30.
Sign up to see all the news from around the SANFL each week – directly in your inbox!