Click here to view all of the winners at the 2018 Community Football Awards dinner held at Adelaide Oval on October 6.
AFL MERIT AWARD
Graeme Wandel (North Eastern Football League)
- 225 A Grade games for Blyth and Blyth Snowtown (BSFC) including 2 premierships
- B Grade coach for BSFC – 1987-88
- Committee member BSFC 1987-2006
- President of BSFC – 2001-2003
- Vice president of BSFC – 1999, 2000 & 2004
- Secretary of BSFC – 1989-1998
- Treasurer of BSFC – 1988
- Goal Umpire North Eastern Football League (NEFL) – 2003-2018
- Advocate to NEFL 1993-1997
- North Eastern Football League President – 2007 – 2009
- Central Zone – Regional Director/Regional Football Advisory Council Member 2009-Current
- SANFL Community Football Committee Member – 2014- Current
- Inaugural Life Member of the BSFC in 2009
- Life Member of Blyth FC
COUNTRY PHN ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
Community Football Administrator of the year is awarded to someone who demonstrates
- Dedicated and committed approach to Administrative position held for the League
- Demonstrates initiative and motivation to identified League duties
- Supportive of Community Football Policy and Programs
Bradley Bowman – Far West Football League Secretary
“Although it is only his second year in the position it is clear he will have a huge impact on the future of football in our League,” Far West Football League President Ron Redford said.
”He is methodical, accurate, knowledgeable and very professional in his approach, he leaves nothing to chance and makes sure that he is on top of every situation.
”His personal attributes are many, he is personable, easy to get along with and will assist with any issues that may arise, he is also strong and when required prepared to stand his ground.
”The loyalty and advice he provides me as President of the league is invaluable, he keeps me fully informed and has already made his mark amongst administrators from the other Leagues and Associations in our Zone.
”He has worked with all clubs in the Far West Football League and dealt with their issues quickly and effectively, he also had involvement in the Mortlock Shield, Kinlough Cup, Mail Medal Count and many other aspects of football on the Eyre Peninsula.”
SANFL MERIT AWARDS
Janet Bache (Southern Football League)
- Southern Football League Secretary 1981-2005
- Southern Football League Life Member – 1992
- Great Southern Football League History & Hall of Fame Committee Member 2015-2018
- Southern Football League Hall of Fame Inductee 2007
- Glenelg Football Club Merit Award – 1997
Peter Ey (Mid South East Football League)
- Mid South Eastern League President 2 Years – 1985-1987
- Mid South Eastern Committee Member 5 Years – 1980-1984
- 19 years as a football player -1959-1977 including 330 A grade games and over 1000 goals
- League Best & Fairest – 1963, plus 3 runner ups – 1962, 1964, 1966
- League Life Membership awarded in 1988
- 10 years of Mid South Eastern FL representation – coach and player
- Glencoe Senior coach 1965-1970 – 2 premierships
- Tantanoola Best & Fairest – 1960, 1962, 1963 & 1964
- League Leading Goal kicker – 1969, 1970, 1971 & 1974
John (Snag) McCarthy (Northern Areas Football Association)
- 1974 to 1976 treasurer of Jamestown Appila.
- 1981 to 1986 secretary Jamestown Appila.
- 2002 president Jamestown Appila.
- In 2003, Jamestown Appila and Peterborough combined and John was president of Jamestown Peterborough in 2003 and 2004.
- Jamestown Appila Life Member.
- Jamestown has a 2 court netball and basketball indoor stadium with indoor cricket nets next to the football oval. This shed was an aircraft hangar at Edinburgh. John was chairman of the committee which oversaw the construction of the Big Shed.
- NAFA Secretary 2011 –
- NAFA team manager for A grade association team.
- Northern Zone team manager at Country Championships.
Gordon Tonkin (Great Southern Football League)
- RFAC Southern Zone Delegate – 3 years
- Southern Districts Zone – 2008-2018
- Great Southern Football League President – 2008-2018
- Great Southern Football League Tribunal – 2008-2018
- Great Southern Football League Life Member – 2018
- Langhorne Creek Football Club – 2002-2008
Andrew (Spud) Jenner (Eastern Eyre Peninsula Football League)
- Eyre Peninsula Coach -1996
- Eyre Peninsula Player – 1988
- Eastern Eyre Football League President – 2014 -2018
- Mortlock Shield Life Membership – 1998
- Eastern Eyre FL Coach – 1988-1992
- Eastern Eyre/Country Jervios League Player – 15 years
- Eastern Eyre League Selector – 8 years
- Cleve Football Club President – 2000-2009
- Cleve Football Club Committee Member – 1985-2011
- Club Coach – Cowell Football Club (1990), Cleve Football Club (1995-1999 & 2011)
- 462 Games
- Eastern Rangers Club Umpire – 2012-2018
- Cleve Football Club Life Membership
Best Community Football Coverage
Matt Turner: The Messenger
Matt demonstrated quality in his writing and put a lot of thought and time into each of his pieces, particularly the Marion Football Club rags to riches story and the Best School teams campaign. He’s captured the serious side of the Marion story with the Rams’ coach having to recover from a heart attack amid the finals campaign while also detailing the success on field.
Best Community Football Photography Coverage
Paul Lack – Mt Barker Courier
Paul captured some perfect action moments which were highlighted by Nairne-Bremer’s Bayden Willis taking a spectacular mark during the Hills Football League Division 2 Reserves Elimination Final against Kangarilla.
CHIEF SANFL WRITER