Published on: Aug 04 2018 | Author: SANFL |

By Peter Cornwall

Big Jono Beech booted a stunning seven goals as West Adelaide kept its slim finals hopes alive with a 26-point win against Port Adelaide at City Mazda Stadium.

The Bloods claimed their seventh win for the season – as many as they won in the previous two winters – to move within two victories of fifth-placed South Adelaide. Mathematically they remain a chance of playing major round footy but in reality it will take a miracle from here, especially after they failed to make up much percentage, Port kicking the last five goals of a windswept game.

West Adelaide’s Tom Keough finished the game against Port with 20 disposals and a goal

But West has made big strides this year and it was looking dominant when Beech booted two quick goals early in the final quarter to stretch its lead to 58 points. On-baller Kaine Stevens (glute) passed a late fitness test but still picked up 22 kicks and 10 handballs, while Josh Schiller farmed out 16 handballs. But Port led the way for sheer weight of numbers, with Sam Gray enjoying time on the ball to rack up 40 possessions, while Will Snelling had a whopping 30 handballs and booted three goals and Jack Trengove had 38 touches.

For the second week in a row Port failed to score in the opening quarter – but coach Matt Lokan would not have been particularly disappointed this time. The Bloods were kicking with a strong breeze and only managed 1.5. Their first shots on goal – all sets shots – were wasteful, Ken Karpany hitting the post, then Shannon Green, Zac Bates and Daniel Webb all booting behinds. It wasn’t until the 18-minute-mark that West broke through for the first major, Beech running into an open goal.

The young and inexperienced Magpies had worked and defended hard, tallying 129 disposals to West’s 82, with skipper Steve Summerton leading the way with 15 touches.

While there was just one goal in the first quarter, the game opened up in the second and it was goal-for-goal. Webb started the ball rolling with an accurate set shot after the first minute, before Aidyn Johnson booted the Magpies’ first in the fourth minute. In the first 11 minutes of the quarter each side booted three goals as West worked hard and ran the ball well into the breeze, while Port used the wind better than the Bloods had in the opening quarter.

Snelling was in the thick of it, winning a remarkable 17 handballs by half-time, while Gray had 15 and Trengove was stamping his influence on the game, snaring a sensational one-handed mark and using the ball well. Schiller, in his 99th game, was in-and-under winning plenty of the ball while Jason Porplyzia used his smarts to lead the Bloods from the back. Port, with a side featuring nine players who have made their SANFL Macca’s League debuts this season, outscored West 4.3 to 4.2 in the second term but it was up against it with defender Trent McKenzie (concussion) and on-baller Levi Proude (shin) done for the day.

Beech took the game by the scruff of the neck in the third quarter, marking strongly, booting three goals and also hitting the post. While they missed their early shots in the opening quarter, the Bloods had three goals on the board in the first eight minutes with the wind this time. When strong-marking Chris Burgess snapped a goal late in the third, West was up by 45 points.

WEST  1.5 | 5.7 | 10.13 | 12.15 (87)

PORT  0.0 | 4.3 | 4.4 | 9.7 (61)

West: Stevens 32, Agostino 25, Schiller 23, Hill, Wasley-Black 21, Keough, Batley 20.
Port: Gray 40, Trengove 38, Snelling 37, Summerton 31, Hewett 28, Barry 27, Kluske 24.

West: Beech 7, Burgess, Webb 2, Keough.
Port: Snelling 3, Ladhams 2, Proude, Johnson, Hewett, Morgan.

Click here for full game stats



2018 Rd 17 West v Port