The 2018 SANFL Macca’s League fixture has been released, the season kicking off in style with three matches on Good Friday.
Traditional Good Friday rivals South Adelaide and Glenelg will do battle at Noarlunga while West and the Eagles will join last year’s newcomers Central District and North Adelaide in playing on Friday March 30.
Port Adelaide will host Adelaide at Alberton on Easter Saturday before the blockbuster on Easter Monday between Norwood and Sturt at The Parade.
Speaking on SANFL Radio, SANFL Football Operations Manager Tom Hurley said maximising attendance and fan engagement was a key component when scheduling the Macca’s League fixture, including Round 1.
This includes an increase in the amount of matches played on a Sunday next year, which will increase by 10 per cent on the back of club requests and higher attendances reported on Sundays in 2017.
Sunday attendances in last year’s minor round were 28.34 per cent higher than Saturdays, with an average crowd of 1,990 across Saturday games and 2,544 across Sunday games.
Blending the Macca’s League fixture with the Statewide Super Women’s League fixture was also high on the agenda, with a key feature being the SANFL Statewide Super Women’s League Grand Final being played after the Macca’s League Anzac Day Grand Final rematch between Sturt and Port Adelaide at Peter Motley Oval.
The West End State game will return in 2018, with the Marty Mattner-coached SANFL hosting the WAFL at Adelaide Oval on the weekend of Saturday May 12.
All finals will again be played at Adelaide Oval, with the 2018 SANFL Macca’s League Grand Final being played on Sunday September 23.
2018 MACCA’S LEAGUE FIXTURE HIGHLIGHTS
- Easter Weekend Opening Round: The newly introduced Good Friday tradition between northern rivals Central District and North Adelaide will continue at My Money House Oval. At the same time, Good Friday pioneer South Adelaide will host Glenelg whilst West Adelaide will take on the Eagles on Good Friday night. The SANFL Showdown between Port Adelaide and Adelaide will be played on Saturday afternoon. Easter Monday will see arch-rivals Norwood and Sturt do battle at The Parade.
- Anzac Day: Sturt will host Port Adelaide at Peter Motley Oval on Wednesday April 25 which will provide an exciting opportunity for all SANFL fans to attend a suburban Anzac Day clash. West Adelaide will trial an Anzac Eve clash against South Adelaide under lights at City Mazda Stadium on Tuesday night, April 24.
- SANFL Statewide Super Women’s League: Across the first two rounds as many as six Men’s and Women’s double-headers will present clubs and fans with the opportunity to experience the excitement and enthusiasm of female football.
- SANFL Finals: All SANFL League Finals will be held at Adelaide Oval.
- AFL Free Weekend: An “AFL free” weekend on the first week of the SANFL Macca’s League Finals Series.
- SANFL Grand Final: SANFL Grand Final scheduled for Sunday September 23 at Adelaide Oval.
- Regional Match: Adelaide will host Port Adelaide in the SANFL Showdown at Kadina Oval in Round 14 (Sunday, 15 July).
- State Game: SANFL v WAFL: The West End State game will be held at the Adelaide Oval on the weekend of Saturday May 12.
- Friday Night Footy: There will be 9 Friday night clashes spread across Coopers Stadium, Gliderol Stadium and City Mazda Stadium.
- Macca’s Family Round: Macca’s Family Round will be held across Friday and Saturday in Round 8 on the weekend of Saturday May 26 when there is no AFL matches in Adelaide.
- Multicultural Month: A celebration of diversity will occur in the month of June during SANFL Multicultural Month.
- Indigenous Round: The significant contribution of indigenous people to the SANFL competition will be celebrated in Round 14.
— SANFL (@SANFL) December 15, 2017
CHIEF SANFL WRITER