Coach Support – Club Coach Coordinators
Coaches have a significant impact on player enjoyment, development, retention and recruitment. They are also key influencers in developing and maintaining a positive game day environments and club culture.
The AFL and SANFL highly recommend providing coaches with a support structure within their community football club to oversee the growth and development of individual coaches, as well as positively influencing the environment they create to maximise recruitment, retention and development.
The best example of a successful support structure for coaches within a community club is through the implementation of a Club Coach Coordinator.
The Club Coach Coordinator role is designed to support and oversee all coaches within a community football club. This role is proven to significantly impact the enjoyment and development of the community clubs coaches, players and officials.
The development of the specific role and responsibilities of the Club Coach Coordinator will depend on the specific needs of the individual club; however the following roles and responsibilities are likely to be core:
- Assist the club to appoint coaches
- Support coaches throughout the year
- Facilitate club coaches meetings to provide an environment where coaches share ideas and learn from each other, discuss club coaching directions and provide education opportunities
- Ensure all club coaches are qualified to a minimum Level 1
- Assist the club to develop a coach’s handbook to help guide coach direction
- Assist the club to develop a club coaching philosophy
- Attend 3-4 SANFL Zoned Club Coach Coordinator Meetings to help drive the direction of coach support and education for the zone, as well as learn from the group
Support for Club Coach Coordinators
The SANFL is committed to ensuring Club Coach Coordinators are supported and guided to ensure a successful coach support structure at the club. The SANFL and SANFL Club staff from within each zone will work closely to support each Club Coach Coordinator, as well as providing resources, education and networking opportunities.
To find out who your local SANFL and SANFL Club contacts are click here
Click here to download the Club Coaching Handbook template – a template document designed to provide guidance to your club’s coaches regarding club expectations, support, direction etc.